Welcome to Saturday(ish) Quilting Bring and Share. Bring along your project(s), share in news and inspiration by clicking the links below to enter our generous and kindly Worldwide Quilting Community 🙂
I’ve entered February at lightening speed (well! for me anyway), whizzing through the Plaid(ish) quilt to avoid over-running the deadline. To be fair there were a couple of days of no visible progress with the partially completed quilt top hanging on my design wall. The halt in production occurred when I had to face doubts about the finished size of the quilt. I had made enough blocks to create the 64″ x 82″ quilt. To be honest that 82″ figure was giving me the collywobbles. On two counts: 1. It would be a challenge/unpleasant to quilt on a domestic machine; 2. The finished quilt could well be too bulky to squish into a standard-size, European, front-loading washing machine. Hmm! It did take me a couple of days to get there but I’m happy with the decision I came to. My finished quilt will measure 64″ square. Taking two rows of blocks off the quilt top will keep the patchwork pattern symmetrical (which makes me happy!), but more importantly I’ve concluded it will be a much more practical gift if it can be washed easily.
Once I’d finally made a decision on the finished size of the quilt (symmetry winning over my usual preference for rectangular rather than square quilts) I whipped myself back up to light speed, piecing the top, preparing backing and wadding to create the quilt sandwich, pin basting and straight line, walking foot quilting all in the space of three days 😮 I also made the binding!
I’m hoping I might have the quilt completed later today. All the details will be revealed once it is in the care of it’s intended recipient 😉
Projects that are jostling for attention include the baby quilt design which will now be the quilt to be made in the next beginners class I hold at Purple Stitches. I’ve tweeked the pattern a little more to make sure it will be ‘beginner friendly’ and an acceptable size for a baby quilt. Tomorrow I’m going to have fun choosing fabrics to make a sample version of the quilt to display in the shop.
I’m looking forward to a sewing day later in the week. I’m hoping to catch up on the ‘Bullseye Courthouse Step’ blocks I’m making for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. The colour for January was red and I’ve completed just two of the eight blocks I had intended to make. The colour choice for February is aqua/teal. I have a plentiful supply of scraps that should suit – no surprise there!
Anyway that’s enough of my ‘news’, on to the links into much more interesting sharing going on in the Worldwide Quilting Community:
Rachel has supplied a foundation pieced download pattern to accompany her comprehensive tutorial for her Monument block. There’s lots of advice about colour choices as well as cutting instructions.
This is a fascinating story of how a textile artist got to make a bronze sculpture. Well worth a read and a look at the photos of the process in the foundry.
Laura has a completed project to share and explains how she creates tear-away stencils for quilting motifs. I will be giving this a go!
Whew! Rebecca Grace has been re-sizing and changing in and out blocks from the Moda ‘Building Blocks’ QAL design. She’d love to be able to credit the designer of the original QAL quilt but hasn’t been able to find a pattern (the QAL happened eight years ago) – if you can help please leave her a message. As well as re-creating (and changing) the whole design on her EQ8 software Rebecca Grace has been practising her piecing skills, looking for precision* all the way!
*Precision piecing has been on my mind this week – more to follow once I have my latest (very imprecisely pieced) quilt finished!
I’ve signed up for Christina Cameli’s latest on-line class, Finding Your Flow in Free Motion Quilting. I’m looking forward to getting stuck into free motion design and finding my own way to flow from one design to another.