I was drawn to Rachel Hauser’s Dear Dottie pattern when she first started sharing it on her blog Stitched in Color. I’d been inspired by lots of the curved piecing that other modern quilters were incorporating into their designs and wanted to have a go. Rachel led a Dear Dottie Sew-Along towards the end of 2019 but I knew I really couldn’t take on another project right then. However I bought and downloaded the pattern thinking I would make the time in the New Year…. Coincidentally an advert for the Classic Curves ruler by Color Girl Quilts had me succumbing to my ruler obsession (again!). I decided to use the ruler rather than the pattern templates to cut out my Dear Dottie fabrics, as a result my finished blocks measure 9½” rather than 6½” – hence my quilt being named ‘Big Dottie’.
Wahoo! I managed to finish a quilt before the end of the month! This is the second log cabin quilt I’ve made to
I am so excited to be able to reveal the ‘Secret Sewing’ project I was busy working on through July and August. I submitted a quilt pattern to Quilt Now magazine way back in April 2019. To my surprise and delight the pattern was accepted by Editor Bethany and her team. I was informed the quilt would be featured in issue 71 due to be published on 5th December. A deadline of 1st of September was set for me to send through the pattern instructions and a completed example of the quilt.
Hooray! For finishing projects! And Hooray! For sharing a creative hobby with like-minded people – a great way to find inspiration and grow friendships 🙂
I’m fortunate enough to participate in a monthly sewing day in a warm hall in the middle of the beautiful Candover Valley, Hampshire. Yesterday was the last Thursday of the month, the date of our regular gathering. Surrounded by like-minded ladies, good conversation and the gentle whir of sewing machines I made steady progress on not one but three projects 🙂
First up: I machine stitched the binding to my third version of ‘Dashing Stars’, the pattern used in the Beginners Course at Purple Stitches. It feels great to have another finish under my belt 🙂
Next: I turned to the log cabin project. This began in response to a request for a Log Cabin workshop. A few weeks ago I worked out a pattern using two methods to make a Log Cabin block. I then set-to with a Moda Jelly Roll – ‘Vive La France’ – and my low volume stash to make thirty-six Log Cabin blocks. I enjoyed myself, writing out the methods and pattern as I went along but had to admit that making two sets of 18 blocks would be too much to do in a time-limited workshop…. Back to EQ7 and my design wall … I decided on a more manageable workshop-friendly design using just sixteen blocks.
Yesterday I stitched my sixteen blocks together to make the workshop example. I’ve ordered some plain Moda fabric for the border and I have several strips left over from the Jelly Roll – enough to make a coordinated scrappy binding.
And my third sewing day project: A Moravian Star. I started this on Tuesday evening at a meeting of Roundabout Quilters. One of the members of the group kindly prepared templates and demonstrated how to paper piece this rather spectacular decoration. I’m using five fabrics from my Christmas stash and some scraps of wadding. It’s a long, long time since I’ve embarked on a English Paper Piecing type project and I’m surprised by how much I’m enjoying it.
(The image to the left is from a free Moravian Star tutorial on the AQS website. Unlike the pattern Roundabout Quilters are using, the AQS pattern does not use wadding to pad out the diamond shapes).
Twelve of these five-piece segments are needed to construct the Star. I’ve decided to give this decoration to a friend as a Christmas gift – a decision that should spur me onto a finish rather than the creation of yet another UFO!
All-in-all a very enjoyable and productive sewing day. Linking with Alycia for Finished Or Not Finished Friday – she’s been working on a modern version of the Log Cabin block.