Another two week gap between blog posts! The first week of the two was filled with patchwork and quilting activity, the second has been about other activities with patchwork and quilting shoe-horned between.
So, rewind two weeks and I was busy preparing notes for the beginners patchwork and quilting class at Purple Stitches. Four lovely ladies signed up to follow Viv’s specially written pattern. I decided to join in the stitching fun; purchasing eight pretty fat quarters from the shop and rocked up on Saturday ready to guide and help out where needed. We started by practicing rotary cutting before cutting out all the 5″ squares required for the design.
We then moved on to setting up sewing machines to stitch the perfect scant ¼” seam. Concentration levels remained at maximum for much of the afternoon; all we could hear was the hum of sewing machines and the hiss of the iron! Next class we will be piecing all the rows together before measuring, cutting and attaching the borders and cornerstones.
A few days before the class I had another great day out with stitching friends at Brown Candover. I took the stripy hearts fabrics and made the remaining five.
After lunch I turned my attention to a Moda mini charm pack. This has been sitting in my stash for a couple of years and I pulled it out on a whim, cut three width of fabric strips from a white on white print and threw them in a bag on the morning of the quilt day. I stitched the 42 squares to the strips of fabric, pressed the seams towards the ‘Mixologie’ fabric squares and then cut them apart. Next I paired them up and made 21 four patch units – it was a great opportunity to practice the spinning seams method so clearly described by Beth in her recent tutorial 🙂
At home I had fun rearranging the blocks on my design wall, settling on a 3 x 7 block formation, measuring 12½” by 28½”. Once sewn together I rooted around and found a suitable size piece of Hobbs 80/20 wadding and cut a rectangle of calico for the backing. I used an off-white thread to quilt a grid through the white squares and found a white fabric with small orange and yellow dots for the binding.
This project definitely counts as another DrEAMi (Drop Everything And Make it) – in fact it is quite revealing just how frequently I divert from the planned quilt list! I fear most diversions have more to do with procrastination than pure creativity – but at the end of the day I have the satisfaction of a fresh project to enjoy even though the to-do list is shaming me with its indelible deadlines!
Probably the log cabin quilt should be recorded as a DrEAMi too! After all it was started on a whim and bears no relation to the to-do list! (I got the borders added after a visit to Sue at Nature’s Threads.) Although I have been away from home quite a lot this week, I did fall into the sewing room on Thursday evening, quickly piecing a backing for the quilt and cutting a chunk out of a kingsize roll of Hobbs Heirloom 100% cotton wadding. On Friday morning I snuck back to my sewing machine and used the walking foot to stitch wavy diagonal lines across the quilt with a dark gold Aurifil thread. I added the binding later in the day and have decided to keep the final fixing down of the binding as a hand stitching project.
My VENTURING continues on three fronts: 1. the classes at Purple Stitches; 2. the production of a quilt for Quilts UK, Malvern – I have submitted the registration form and continue to learn how to use EQ7 to produce the pattern;
3. notification of the re-opening of the pop up craft shop has been exercising my brain as the new venue gives just a 64cm (25″) wide display space to each crafter…
Hope you are having a relaxing and creative weekend.