So, OK! It’s very late Tuesday evening and I’m writing Monday’s post… I took the photos and had the sentences forming in my mind but somehow never got down to writing…
Look what found their way onto my design wall! I was looking at these and thinking, ‘Hum! I shouldn’t be working on this project!’ And then I discovered Sandra of Musings of a Menopausal Melon (what an excellent blog name :-D) has set up a new linky for just such a situation. She’s calling the linky ‘DrEAMi’ – Drop Everything And Make it! – and is inviting quilters to share with her their stories of unscheduled project diversions (the linky is scheduled for the last Saturday of the month and stays open for the next month).
The story of these heart blocks is not straightforward, are you sitting comfortably? Then, I shall begin. Last November I began searching for quilt patterns on Etsy. There were two motivations for this search: 1. why wouldn’t I be looking for quilt patterns?; and 2. I was doing some research before attempting to write my own quilt pattern. I found Julie Taylor’s Mack and Mable pattern, ‘Take Heart – A Quilt Pattern for Jelly Rolls’, promptly paid for a pdf download and within seconds was able to read through the instructions (which, by the way, are very clearly written, with excellent photos and requirement lists and piecing charts for making five different sized quilts). Also on-line, I found some discounted jelly rolls and chose ‘Cherry on Top’, by Keiki for Moda and some additional, on sale, fabric from the same range. A few days later I received an apologetic call from the on-line retailer saying the jelly roll couldn’t be found, would I like a layer cake instead? Rather than rethinking all my fabric choices I made a rash decision and said, ‘Yes’. Julie’s pattern is based on cutting 12½” strips of fabric to construct the hearts. Hum! Layer cakes are 10″ square, it was coming up to Christmas, I quickly filed this whole mis-match under ‘too difficult’. Then panic struck on 21st December: the next day was scheduled as a sewing day with friends, I needed a project! Out came the graph paper, pencil and eraser and I set about adapting the pattern. My strips were cut 2″ wide and 9½” long and the corner squares that form the triangles at the top and bottom of each heart were re-sized accordingly. At the end of that sewing day the blocks, half completed blocks and cut strips were bundled into a plastic folder and abandoned until last Thursday – the first sewing day with friends of 2017.
I should have left the bagged-up project alone when I returned home but it had it’s hooks in me. I confess I took down the current project from the design wall and stuck heart blocks, bits of heart blocks and strips of layer cake fabrics up there instead *BLUSH*, working away at the blocks whenever I had a chance over the weekend. I had to do some hard thinking on Monday: in the end I set myself the goal of completing the partial blocks and sorting the remaining strips before putting the rogue project away and getting on with what I should have been doing!
There is no doubt about it, with so many ingenious patterns and beautiful fabrics, diversion and distraction in the world of patchwork and quilting is unavoidable!
Linking with Sandra for DrEAMi!
Judy for Design Wall Monday
and Lorna for Let’s Bee Social.